Williams selects 26-man squad for Final leg of CONCACAF preparations
Trinidad and Tobago’s Men’s Under 20 Team head coach Brian Williams has finalised selection of a 26-man squad to enter a residential training camp in Cali, Colombia ahead of the CONCACAF Final Round of Under 20 World Cup qualification next month in Costa Rica.
The T&T squad will depart Piarco for Cali on Saturday for the camp during which time they are expected to play up to five training matches against local Professional clubs and possibly a match against the Colombia National Under 20 team.
Williams spoke about the squad which will be trimmed to a 20-man final selection for the CONCACAF Finals next month, during the upcoming camp.
“These 26 players came from the previous ten-day training camp we had and also comprises players we had been monitoring earlier in the season,” Williams told TTFA Media.
“We believe this is the best 26-man squad at this time with the level of experince necessary to complete at the international level and in such a tournament as the CONCACAF championship.”
On the training camp, he added: “This leg of the preparations in Colombia is about getting the final chemistry in relation to the starting eleven and the final 20. Our main objective over the past few weeks was to get the team physically and mentally in the best shape possible and now we will focus on everything game related with emphasis on how we will want to play against the teams we are scheduled to face,” Williams stated.
“We have at least five games carded for Colombia including one against their Under 20 national team, a couple against full pro teams and another couple against Reserve teams which I think will serve us well during the camp and fall nicely into what are looking to achieve during this period,” Williams added.
Keston Julien and Nicholas Dillon are currently on trial in Europe and will join the team in Costa Rica while Williams remains optimistic about Dutch-based senior team winger Levi Garcia also joining the squad.
“Keston and Nicholas are both on trials and will join the team in Costa Rica and we will still very hopeful of getting Levi to join us in time for the competition. Noah Powder, Morgan Bruce and Jadel Poon-Lewis will join the squad in Colombia,” Williams said.
The T&T team will play a final training match on home soil against St Ann’s Rangers at 6pm at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Thursday and will depart for Colombia on Saturday.
T&T faces Bermuda in its opening CONCACAF qualifier at the Ricardo Saprissa Stadium on February 19th, before taking on hosts Costa Rica at the National Stadium on February 22nd and El Salvador at the same venue on February 25th.
The National Stadium and Estadio Ricardo Saprissa will both be used for the tournament, to be played in a new format consisting of a group stage, a classification phase, and the grand final.
Under the new format, designed to increase the number of meaningful, competitive matches, the top two teams from Groups A, B, and C will advance to the Classification Stage, where the Confederation’s four tickets to the World Cup at this level will be determined in round robin play among two groups of three teams each.
The top two teams of each of the two Classification Stage groups will qualify as CONCACAF representatives to the FIFA U-20 World Cup Korea Republic 2017.
T&T Squad for Colombia
• Denzil Smith,/Goalkeeper/W Connection
• Montel Joseph/Goalkeeper/Borehamwood FC
• Dejourn Charles/Goalkeeper/Carapichaima East
• Jadel Poon Lewis/Goalkeeper/Franklin, Pierce University
• Taryk Sampson/Defender/Ma Pau Stars
• Kori Cupid/Defender/Presentation College. San Fernando
• Kierron Mason/Defender/Marabella Crisis
• Isaiah Garcia/Defender/W Connection
• Simeon Bailey/Defender/Barataria South
• Coby McGregor/Defender/Cedar Star Academy
• Kyle Thomas/Defender/San Juan Jabloteh
• Noah Powder/Defender/(New York Red Bulls)
• Shane Sandy/Midfielder/Ma Pau Stars
• Jabari Mitchell/Midfielder/W Connection
• Marc Gangia/Midfielder/Odense BK
• Morgan Bruce De Rouche/Midfielder/unattached
• Micah Lansiquot/Midfielder/ St Ann’s Rangers
• Joshua Sitney/Midfielder/Malta Carib Alcons
• Justin Sadoo/Midfielder/Point Fortin Civic Centre
• Stephan Marcano/Midfielder/ Fatima College
• Jesse Joseph/Midfielder/San Juan Jabloteh
• Kathon St. Hillaire/Forward/St Ann’s Rangers
• Joshua Leach/Forward/Police FC
• Taofik Lucas Walker/Forward/DC United
• Rushawn Murphy/Forward/ St Ann’s Rangers
• Josh Toussaint/Forward/St Ann’s Rangers
• Brian Williams – Head Coach
• Dunstan Williams – Manager
• Kerry Jamerson – Assistant Coach
• Ross Russell – Goalkeeper Coach
• Michael Taylor – Physio
• Esmond O’Brien – Equipment Manager